Southwest Style Freezer Breakfast Burritos
1 lb. Pork Sausage (we like Jimmie dean maple)
1 lb. Bacon
4 lb. Hash browns
1 green, yellow, and red bell pepper chopped
½ Onion chopped
2 Jalapenos chopped (optional)
2 dozenLarge eggs
1 tsp cumin
1 springs fresh basil
¼ tsp dried basil leafs
¼ tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
16oz pkg. shredded cheese (mexican blend, cheddar, or pepper jack)
2-3 pkg. flour tortillas (depending on the size)
1. Cook hash browns in the same pan, oils will help cook the hash browns.
2.. Brown sausage and bacon - drain on a paper towel.
3. While the hash browns are cooking -In a large metal mixing bowl, whisk eggs, cumin, thyme, basil, salt & pepper, and milk.
4. Add browned sausage and chopped bacon back to the pan with the cooked hash brown and the egg mixture. Cook till eggs are done stirring gently
5. Place 5-10 tortillas on a plate. Cover with a wet paper towel. Heat in microwave for 30 seconds, Heat the tortillas in batches.
If your eating them now enjoy! For freezer continue on…
6. Line a cookie sheet with parchment/wax paper to place your burritos on.
7. Add ½-¾ cup meat mixture and some cheese, then fold in the sides of the tortilla. Roll burrito up, make sure the seam is on the bottom and it is tightly rolled.
8. Freeze on cookie sheet for a couple hours
9. Place in gallon freezer storage bags or wrap the burritos in plastic wrap. Then place the wrapped burritos in freezer zip-lock bags for a more on the go option
* I don’t wrap mine since we usually heat them before we leave or I can just throw them in a little ziplock bag.
*Depending on how many eggs you use and how large you make each burrito will determine how many burritos you will end up with. It makes a lot, but they get eaten fast.
*For one meal ¼ the reciepe for about 4 people
When you are ready to eat - take the number of burritos you want out of the freezer (we usually only do two at a time) - unwrap - place in a wet paper towel and warm 2 burritos for 45 seconds – flip - warm another 45 seconds. Unwrap and warm for 30 seconds more. This is the best way to avoid a soggy or crunchy shell. Microwaves vary so you may need to add or subtract a little time, just follow the process.
Printable recipe and shopping list: Southwest Style Freezer Breakfast Burritos