Saturday, March 16, 2013

Zucchini Waffles & Peach Syrup

We got tons of zucchini out of our little garden last year and we love it but couldn't eat it all. So I shredded it and froze it in 2 cup bags. We pulled it out to make pumpkin zucchini bread and had some leftovers so I made zucchini waffles. They are yummy, super easy, and adds a little nutrition. I also served them with homemade peach syrup.

Buttermilk Zucchini Waffles

2 Eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup-1 cup frozen zucchini shred
6 TB melted butter
1/2 tsp salt 
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baling powder
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 cup flour

Mix it all together and cook in your waffle iron. Be sure not to overfill since they do puff quite a bit while baking. I freeze the leftovers for a quick toaster breakfast. Makes about 12 waffles give or take. 

* Substitution tip: I keep powdered buttermilk in my fridge or  if I don't have buttermilk on hand I use a ratio of 1 cup milk to 1 TB vinegar  Just mix them together and let them sit for 5 minutes are so it will look weird  but its buttermilk. I like to use my apple cider vinegar for the waffles, adds a little more flavor. 

Peach Syrup

1 29 oz can peaches with the syrup
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 TB corn starch
1 tsp- 2 tsp vanilla

1. Pureee the peaches in your blender to desired consistency. 
2. Pour in sauce pan with sugars, cornstarch, and vanilla. Mix the cornstarch in well before turning on any heat.
3. Heat for 5 minutes on med heat until the sugars dissolve and the sauce thickens. 

It will store in your fridge for a week or 2. If its too thick add a little water about 1/4 cup max. My mom always made this for us growing up and I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment